Gingery Chickpeas in a Spicy Tomato Sauce Served with Cilantro Rice

Wednesday, January 26, 2011



What's up folks? It's me again! I know it's been a while, but I'm here with yet another amazing recipe! It's a must have and I hope you all enjoy it as much as my family did!!!

I found out about this recipe on Twitter and thought I would give it a try. I thought it would be a good recipe but I didn't expect to be so impressed by it. Even Stacy, who is the pickiest eater I know loved it and asks that I make it often. Of course you know by now that I will make the recipe my own, but if you would like to take a look at the original recipe, you can find it here. There are so many different bursts of flavors in this recipe and it's indescribably good!

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb chicken, cut up into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, large, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced ginger root
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
(14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 container of fresh mushrooms
about a cup of fresh chopped cilantro
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, if desired)

Here's What I did:


I started by sauteing my onions over medium heat.




Once the aroma was kicked up a notch in my kitchen, I added the ginger, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, mushrooms, and chicken. I let this cook until the chicken was cooked on the outside.



 Next I added the vinegar and diced tomatoes.


Once that was brought to a boil I stirred in my chickpeas and brought the heat to low. I let this simmer for about 45 minutes, like the original recipe suggests, and stirred occasionally.

At the very end I topped this with cilantro for garnish. I served this mixture over Cilantro Rice and that recipe can be found here.


I can't wait to have this dish again! It's bursting with so many different amazing flavors, and although I think the original recipe would have been delightful, I think my addition of mushrooms and chicken is what made this recipe so good!

Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mother, soon to be wife, and daughter. I'm half Filipino and half American and was raised in sweet home Alabama. I have a passion for cooking food and I'm here to blog about it!
Powered by Blogger.

FilipinaFoodista Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino