Spinach stuffed chicken

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes and the reason being is because I completely and solely made this recipe on my own with my own imagination, and it turned out great! I came about this recipe for the first time when a friend of mine was telling me how he has stuffed chicken with spinach before. Now to me, just plain spinach in a chicken didn't sound very appetizing so I did a good bit of research to find a recipe that suited my taste, and I couldn't find anything! I finally decided to experiment and I was very happy with the results!

INGREDIENTS:


4    BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS


3    CUPS (ABOUT) OF SPINACH CHOPPED


1/2 ONION CHOPPED


1 1/2 OUNCE CREAM CHEESE


1/2 TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER


3    TABLESPOONS FETA CHEESE


3    TABLESPOONS PARMESAN CHEESE


8    SLICES OF BACON


1    TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL


SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE




PREPARATION:


Alright, so before I tell you how to properly stuff the chicken breast, I have to tell you how I stuffed the chicken breast the first time I did this recipe. Up until the other day, I was wondering why on earth my food turned out so messy when I stuffed my chicken. It's because I really wasn't even stuffing my chicken to begin with. I was rolling it. Yes, rolling it-- let me explain.


I would start by pounding out my chicken breast with whatever that hammer looking thing is that you use to pound your meats with (don't judge me... my kitchen vocabulary isn't proper, obviously). After I got my chicken really thin, I would spoon the stuffing on into the middle and roll the chicken. (No, I am NOT kidding.) I would then secure the chicken by wrapping it with bacon and poking toothpicks all throughout it. Folks: Don't try this at home! It's disastrous!


Now if you're laughing at me, I certainly don't blame you. The mess I made with that was something I still laugh about now. So I get it! Laugh on!




Now I will tell you the proper way to stuff the chicken breast. It's so much easier and much less messy! :) I start off by sauteing the onions and spinach. Once the spinach has the bright green color (which won't take long at all) , remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Then add the garlic, all cheeses, salt, and pepper. It's okay to taste test this and add until you get to the flavor that you like.

Now for the Rachael Ray way of stuffing chicken. You start by inserting a pairing knife into the fattest, plumpest part of the chicken and going into the chicken about 3/4 of the way down. Next, twist the knife a couple of times so there is enough room to stick your fingers inside of the chicken so that you can loosen it up enough to insert the stuffing. Your hole should look something like the hole in this picture.






After making a hole deep enough and big enough to add the stuffing, I began with a spoon full of stuffing and tried to insert it. For me, it didn't work out well so I just got my hands clean and started stuffing the breast with my fingers. Once the breast is stuffed as much as possible, I wrap the breast with two pieces of bacon.



Once all chicken breasts are stuffed and wrapped, place them in a casserole dish and bake them at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Your chicken should be a light golden color and your bacon should be well done.




I also served my chicken with yellow squash and this smashed potatoes recipe from Giada at Home. I must say, this is a very delicious dinner. Everything compliments one another and  the chicken is to die for!

2 comments:

Katie Blackmon said...

I think I am going to try this soon! I will let you know hoe it turns out because I am not the best cook. :]

FilipinaFoodista said...

Awesome! I can't wait to hear the results! I have had two people try it so far and they loved it. :)

About Me

My photo
I am a mother, soon to be wife, and daughter. I'm half Filipino and half American and was raised in sweet home Alabama. I have a passion for cooking food and I'm here to blog about it!
Powered by Blogger.

FilipinaFoodista Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino