Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

With the changing of the weather here in Alabama, my daughter and I weren't feeling very well last week so I decided to make us something soothing and warm to help us out and get us feeling a little better. It was the night of Halloween, it was a little chilly outside, and with us having a cold, I thought it would be the perfect time to make some soup. I've done this recipe a couple of times before and Stacy loves it as well so I figured why not!

I got a couple of recipes online that helped me figure out how to make this recipe on my own with my own twists.

INGREDIENTS:

1 package hickory smoked bacon

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup flour

3 cups chicken broth

4 baked potatoes

salt and pepper to taste

1 tsp basil

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 clove garlic, minced

1 small onion, chopped

1 can cream of potato soup


DIRECTIONS:


I begin baking my potatoes in the microwave with the baked potato setting based on the number of potatoes that I am making. I usually bake my potatoes in the microwave until I can easily stick a toothpick into the potato. Once the potatoes are done, I chop them into 1 inch pieces.

 I then fry my package of bacon in my cast iron skillet. In the past I have used a package of Real Bacon bits and then just fried a few pieces of bacon for garnishing purposes but this time I thought it would be better with all of the bacon being home cooked.


When my bacon was done, I drained off most of the grease but reserved about two tablespoons for sauteing my onions and garlic. I always make sure to saute my onions for a minute or two longer than my garlic so that I don't burn the garlic because garlic cooks fast!


After I got my onions to the consistency that I wanted them, which is not mushy, I added my flour. This is the part that makes the gravy. I usually add a little more cooking oil when I make my flour so that I can get my rue to a very thick consistency. 



Once all of my flour is clumpy and wet with grease, I start making my gravy by slowly adding the chicken broth. Also, when making homemade gravy, make sure to turn the heat down on your stove to the low setting.

Once I finally got my gravy to the thick consistency that I wanted, I added my cream of potato soup which also helped in getting the soup to the thickness I like it. This is also the step where I added my basil, salt, pepper, and baked potatoes!



Next, I added my cup, or so, of sour cream.


Then I added most of the  bacon...



 Once all of that was done, I let the soup simmer for about 5-7 minutes on medium-low heat. I then garnished it with the cheese, bacon, and parsley.





This definitely made Autumn and me feel better after eating it. It's so comforting and it has become a regular meal at our home during the winter time!






3 comments:

Christina said...

Oh yum this looks and sounds so delicious!! I think I'd add some corn to it too!

Anonymous said...

question : do you have to put onions in it for it to come out right? I'm not a huge fan of them and absolutely hate chopping them up!

FilipinaFoodista said...

No, I'm sure you don't have to, it mainly just helps with the flavor. If you don't like the texture of onions, just use onion powder, but if it's the flavor, then yeah, I'm sure it'll be just fine with leaving it out. You could just use more garlic or just leave it alone. It'll have plenty of flavor without the onions anyway! :)

About Me

My photo
I am a mother, soon to be wife, and daughter. I'm half Filipino and half American and was raised in sweet home Alabama. I have a passion for cooking food and I'm here to blog about it!
Powered by Blogger.

FilipinaFoodista Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino