Mexicali Skillet

Thursday, November 4, 2010

This recipe was given to me a few years ago when I first started cooking. This is probably Stacy's absolute favorite recipe, which surprises me because he is so picky. I've introduced this recipe to a lot of different people and they all have enjoyed it so now I am here to share it with you guys. It's very good!


INGREDIENTS:

1 small onion, diced

1/2 lb ground beef

1 package cocktail sausages

1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained

1 can pinto beans, undrained

1 can green chilles

3/4 cup white rice

1 tbsp chili powder

1 cup water

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

1 can mushrooms (optional)

A few splashes of Frank's Hot Sauce (optional)


DIRECTIONS:

I start by sauteing my onions for about two to three minutes until soft. I then remove the onions and brown my grown beef. Once the ground beef is done, I throw in all of the other ingredients, including the  sauteed onions. I let all of this simmer for about 20-25 minutes on medium to medium-low heat. I stir it occasionally so that the rice doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan. You'll know your dish is done when the rice is fluffy and you can bite into it without it being hard. Duh! ;)

















Yep, this recipe is that easy. This simple little dish will serve about 6 people easily. I love it so much because it has so much flavor and I absolutely love cocktail sausages!




Enjoy!






2 comments:

Christina said...

looks interesting! I've never tried a cocktail sausage in my life!

FilipinaFoodista said...

They're so good! I remember my dad making them for me for breakfast when I was a kid along with eggs, grits, and biscuits. They're especially good when you put them in a crock pot with barbeque sauce as an appetizer, or especially in this dish. I love them!

About Me

My photo
I am a mother, soon to be wife, and daughter. I'm half Filipino and half American and was raised in sweet home Alabama. I have a passion for cooking food and I'm here to blog about it!
Powered by Blogger.

FilipinaFoodista Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino