Pancit Bihon (Filipino Noodles)

Monday, November 15, 2010

I found a picture a while back of my 16th birthday dinner where I was blowing out my candles and there was tons of Filipino food surrounding my cake on the table. It made me reminisce back to those days and miss them so very much; especially my mom who made all of those delicious meals! After finding the picture, I made it my goal to try to cook (and master) all of the Filipino dishes my mom and other family members used to make. 

Since I set my goal, I've mastered a few of the Filipino dishes; one of which is Pancit Bihon. This is yet another of my childhood favorites that most Filipinos can't get enough of. Whether the occasion is Christmas, Thanksgiving, a birthday, or just a family get together, my mom always made enough of this to feed my whole family and still had leftovers for me when they left! This is mainly used as a side dish, but I like eating it by itself as well!

Pancit Bihon is a noodle dish consisting of various vegetables with either chicken or pork. This very simple dish seems to satisfy people from many different cultures. I remember different people coming to my family's homes to have dinner with us on our many different occasions and truly enjoying this dish, so here I am to share it with you!


INGREDIENTS:

1 package Excellent Rice Stick Noodles (found at most Oriental stores)

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded

3/4 cup shredded, carrots

3/4 cup shredded, cabbage

1 small onion, chopped

1 scallion stalk, sliced

2 cloves garlic, crushed

3 cups chicken broth

about 5 tbsp soy sauce

3 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

1 lemon


DIRECTIONS:




I first started by boiling my chicken for about 25 minutes until fully cooked. While my chicken was cooking, I shredded and chopped my vegetables. Once the chicken was full cooked, I started sauteing my onions and garlic in the vegetable oil for about one minute.






I then poured in my chicken broth.



Next, I added the rest of my vegeatables, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and shredded chicken.


Once my vegetables were placed, I let them boil for about 5 minutes and then I added my rice noodles, which I broke in half. (If you make this recipe, you'll see what I mean about breaking the noodles in half because the bundle of noodles are long and won't fit in your pan properly.)


My final step was to let the noodles boil down for about 3-5 minutes until they were soft. This recipe really takes no time once the chicken is cooked. When the noodles are soft, easily move around the pan, and most of the liquid is absorbed, the recipe is done. I usually eat this dish with chicken adobo or barbeque with a side of rice and my Lumpia. You'll want to squeeze a slice of lemon on top of the Pancit and...


Voila! Pancit Bihon is served!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds sOoooOooooO good! Can you use shrimp and other seafood? Gonna cook it soon!

FilipinaFoodista said...

Yep! And actually, the picture I was talking about in this post had this dish in with shrimp. You can use shrimp, pork, chicken, or all three. If you use all three though, I'd double the rice on everything else.

FilipinaFoodista said...

Oops, I meant double the recipe* on everything else.

The Duo Dishes said...

Good thing we were pointed in the direction of your blog. We need recipe ideas, and pancit is on the list. Yum.

FilipinaFoodista said...

Great! If you try it, let me know how it turns out! :)

About Me

My photo
I am a mother, soon to be wife, and daughter. I'm half Filipino and half American and was raised in sweet home Alabama. I have a passion for cooking food and I'm here to blog about it!
Powered by Blogger.

FilipinaFoodista Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino